Friday 6 May 2011

Quick Feedback

We didn't receive our CRA mark straight away, which I didn't expect anyway. So without any work done all there was to do for this week's tutorial was to receive feedback. The feedback I received was mostly on the tectonics of the building. I was told there is a rule of thumb for any cantilevered structure. This rule of thumb is that 2 part of a structure must be fixed; therefore 1 part can be hanging. My current proposal at the moment is more like 1 third fixed, 2 thirds hanging. My tutor and I did some quick sketches to diagram and explain the concept of cantilevers to get a better understanding of the situation.





The image above is of the sketches we made discussing the cantilever of my building. I was suggested to remove one of my 4 levels to allow more space in-between each floor. The reason behind that was at the moment the earth in-between each floor that are taking the load of the turning moments is too narrow. The removal of a floor would allow the shifting of the floors to allow and even amount of space in-between the levels. The amount of earth in-between each level should be the same height of the levels. To allow maximum strength in the structure, the concrete shell needs to be straight beams. Having any kinks or bends in the outer structure would create weak spots which would have a higher chance of failure under the cantilever load.

No comments:

Post a Comment