Friday 13 May 2011

Cantilever 50-50

In the tutorial my tutor and I discussed the fact that in this situation, the cantilever doesn't have to apply to the 2 parts fixed, 1 part hanging, rule of thumb. My cantilever building could be more towards 1 part fixed, 1 part hanging. This is because my building isnt fixed from beams or a structure, it is fixed from being slotted into a wall, therefore there are loads from the top of the earht ontop of the building stopping turning moments, and earth underneath the building to hold it up and withstand the dead load of the building. Because of these aspects, the placement of my levels only has to ensure that the cantilever can support the turning moments. Therefore if there is an equal amount of building fixed compared to the amount overhanging, technically this should be structurally sound. Just to be safe though I am probably going to aim for 60% fixed, 40% overhanging.

No comments:

Post a Comment