Friday 1 April 2011

After talking to my tutor and classmates about our folie concept, we discussed the tutorial topic of what exactly "the new machine' meant. My understanding of it  is an exploration of the way in which 21st century architecture can be driven and enhanced by emerging technologies. With both the folie concept and the tutorial theme in mind, we are now to design a building within the Howard Smith Wharves site.

My main folie concept was to manipulate and control the many views from the Howard Smith Wharves through a single structure. This concept of views got me thinking for a design intervention for a building that could maximise the use of the views from the site. The structure of my folie was itself another concept. This was that the thick concrete, monolith like structure purposely opposed that of not only the surrounding nature, but also the complex framework of the above Story Bridge.  There are also many aspects of the site that a driving my design intervention. I am interested in the fact that the site is surrounded by the CBD, Fortitude Valley and New Farm. All these areas are known for their involvement in the bar and nightclub scene.

No comments: